Getting healthier is what many people strive to do to start the new year, so it’s “fitting” that the American College of Sports Medicine has released a list of top fitness trends for 2024.
Being healthier is something many people strive for at the start of a new year, so it’s “fitting” that the American College of Sports Medicine has released a list of top fitness trends for 2024.
Researchers gathered input from 2,000 clinicians, experts, and practitioners across the fitness industry and determined that “wearable technology” is the biggest trend of the new year.
“What we’re seeing is that people are looking for real-time information and data about their health and fitness,” said Anaja Newsome, one of the project’s lead researchers. Ta.
Wearable technology includes devices such as smartwatches, fitness trackers, and heart rate monitors.
“These devices are becoming increasingly sophisticated and can now track things like sleep, nutrition, and other non-exercise activities,” Newsom said.
The second most popular fitness trend of the new year is workplace wellness, which includes work-related programs and benefits that improve employee wellness.
“As Americans return to offices full-time following the pandemic, they want to maintain the active lifestyles they adopted while working from home,” Newsom said.
Programs and benefits range from on-site gyms and training facilities to employee incentives for gym memberships and regular blood pressure checks.
“Employers are seeing the benefits,” Newsom said. “Fitness is beginning to be used to reduce symptoms of mental illness and improve health-related quality of life.”
The number 3 fitness trend was “fitness programs for seniors.”
Many baby boomers are entering retirement and adopting lifestyles that focus on fitness.
According to the 2021 Profile of Older Americans, the number of Americans 65 and older increased by 38% between 2010 and 2021. Approximately 27% of its population lives independently, and regular physical activity is key to maintaining their health.
“As people age, they want to maintain more independence,” Newsom said. “Fitness is a big part of that.”
According to ACSM, the top 10 fitness trends for 2024 are:
- Wearable technology: Fitness trackers, smartwatches, heart rate monitors, GPS tracking devices, and more.
- Workplace Health Promotion: Work-related programs and benefits that promote employee health.
- Fitness programs for older adults: Interventions focused on the unique needs of older adults.
- Reimbursement for eligible exercise professionals: Policy changes that make it easier for exercise professionals to claim insurance.
- Exercise for weight loss: In addition to exercise routines, incorporate weight loss programs such as dieting and culinary interventions.
- Hiring Certified Exercise Professionals: We employ certified and fully certified health and fitness professionals.
- Mobile exercise app: A smartphone app that helps with exercise performance and programming.
- Exercise for mental health: Improve your mental health through physical activity.
- Youth sports development: Involving youth in sports and related activities.
- Personal Training: Work one-on-one with a trainer to set goals, assess fitness, and develop an exercise program.