CHEEKTOWAGA, N.Y. — Newly released video shows people at Holiday Twin Lynx knew carbon monoxide detectors were working inside the arena days before more than 100 people became ill. It seems so.
A video obtained by 2 on Your Side shows people talking about CO alarms going off on empty ice, and someone saying they are aware of it but can’t stop it.
“Carbon dioxide is [sic] The alarm is going off,” one person said.
Another person was heard saying, “Yeah, I know, you can’t fix that.”
Cheektowaga Emergency Services Manager Jason Tolsma told 2 On Your Side tonight. “No investigation has been conducted. Law enforcement has provided the business owner with corrective actions that must be completed before reopening to the public. Law enforcement has also conducted an inspection of the facility and completed all corrective actions.” “We will confirm that measures have been taken in advance.” “Business is closed to the public until January 2nd. No one has been hospitalized as a result of this incident. All patients that we are aware of are… He received treatment and was discharged from the hospital on the same day.
The Forks Fire Department reported levels detected between 200 and 400 ppm. Tolerable levels of carbon monoxide (CO) are only 0 to 10 ppm.
Firefighters and National Fuel determined the leak was caused by a malfunctioning heater. Those heaters were repaired and inspected Thursday by staff hired by the rink, Cheektowaga-Tolsma said.
Tolsma told 2 On Your Side that a total of 111 people were treated at various local hospitals for symptoms ranging from lightheadedness to stomach problems. They were all given oxygen and released. No one needed to be hospitalized.
2 on Your Side has reached out to Holiday Twin Lynx for comment and is awaiting a response.